Thursday, February 2, 2012

Difference

Hi,

The weather in Chiang Rai has definitely shifted to the warm/hot index. The blanket is off the bed, the jacket is back in the closet, and the air/con is running at 8:30pm. There was some interesting phone drama today as well.

Some of you remembered this 'Song of '77', I got a few answers quickly. Here's the rest of the song to ponder:
"I've seen it before, it happens all the time. You're closing the door, you leave the world behind. You're digging for gold, yet throwing away a fortune in feelings, but someday you'll pay. You're as __ __ __...." Hint: An opportunist.

Things were going well this morning. After breakfast we played with the dogs and then I got ready for an appointment with Dr. Oy, the dentist. As I checked to see how much battery power I had, I noticed several text messages from AIS. They were telling me that I had no balance, which meant I couldn't call out. I found this odd since I had 800 Baht ($22.60) on it yesterday. On the way to the hospital I put 300 Baht ($8.50) on it for good measure. In the afternoon I went to make a phone call and it told me I was empty again. Not good. After locating the main AIS store I went to find out what was going on. This was getting expensive for no reason, or so I thought. I discovered that my phone was set for 3G, which meant 'cellular data', which really meant that I was connected to the internet all the time, and being charged for the time. The young woman at the shop went into my settings and showed me the culprit. Now I have a phone that behaves more normally, not eating up money for nothin'. The more you know, the more you know.

The visit to the hospital turned out to be an exercise in Thai patience. At 30 minutes I was told, with a smile, that it would be 'just a minute'. After sitting for a total of 50 minutes and decided to get a new appointment since it wasn't urgent.

This afternoon we went into town to run a few errands. There's a magazine stand next to a little market we go to and Lisa and the man that run it have a rapport. She buys magazines for Boot and the first time she stopped by he asked her if she could read Thai. She explained and he thought that was nice. Today he called her name as she walked up. She was a little surprised until she realized that one of the mags she buys is called 'Lisa'. When she told him and his friend that her name was Lisa they all had a big laugh. It just keeps getting better.

The music across the river will continue until the 4th. We saw a banner while in traffic and had a chance to study it carefully. I am curious to know how many people show up for these week-night concerts. The day of the week doesn't seem to matter. Just another late night in the field I guess.

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"One determined person can make a significant difference; a
small group of determined people can change the course of
history."
~Sonia Johnson

No comments: