Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Purpose

Hi,
How many boulders does it take to build a waterfall? Beats me, but they keep bringing more. Another little truck load arrived today. It looks like the basic structure is in place, so maybe they're for atmosphere. Hmm.
The Graduate was the movie and "Mrs. Robinson" was the song by Simon and Garfunkel. Boy, did I get lots of mail. Try this one:
"I don't know why she's riding so high, she ought to think twice, she ought to do right by me." Hint: It's another song from a movie, and this line is from a 'B' section. If I'd given you the first line it would be too easy. Oh, four guys sang it.
Today we made what may have been our last trip to the American Standard showroom for supplies. A simple thing like towel racks can be a trying experience. So many choices. We got it done and made sure the man doing the work knew exactly where they were to go. While we were at the site we watched a special crew spread the terrazzo for the back patio. At first, it looked like they were just spreading mud around. I kept wondering where the little pebbles were. I asked Yuthana when they would put the pebbles on and he chuckled. Then he explained the process. That mud was actually the deal. After it dries, they use a special acid compound to remove the top surface of the adhesive that holds the pebbles. Brilliant. Anyway, it will be the same color as the edging of the staircase.
Language differences can bring about some interesting things. For instance, in American English, we say that we turn lights on and off and we do the same with a water faucet. In Thai English, lights and water are opened and closed. Took me a minute to catch on to that one.
This afternoon I had another adventure in communication. My mission was to find a store that sold 'bondo' or body filler. Yesterday I had asked at a hardware store and they suggested a store on the highway. After browsing two auto parts stores that had nothing on the shelf, I wandered into one of those shops that was full of all kinds of products. I asked the owner if he spoke English and he said the usual: "Little bit". With a combination of drawings and charades, he understood. He knew what it was, but didn't have it, but he knew where to get it. Then his English kicked in and he explained, as he drew a map, how to get there. I got there and found a new resource at Chiang Rai Paint. Oh, it's for my new didjeridoo. (there's a pic at Flickr)
It's time for a Wacky Wednesday. Have a good one.

Peace,
Danny

"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds; Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great and wonderful world.
Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be."
~Patanjali

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: