Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Fountain


Hi,

Chiang Rai weather was, well, you know.  Today was like all the rest, very hot with dirty air.  I just sit and look at the photos from Hua Hin and dream.

The ‘Easy Monday’ song was “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” by The Rolling Stones.  I think this next song qualifies as a ‘Zany Day’ song:  “I live in an apartment on the ninety-ninth floor of my block.  And I sit at home looking out the window, imagining the world has stopped.  Then in flies a guy who's all dressed up like a Union Jack, and says, ‘I’ve won five pounds if I have his kind of detergent pack’.  I said, ‘Hey! You! __ __ __ __ __.  Hey! You! __ __ __ __ __.  Hey! You! __ __ __ __ __, don’t hang around ‘cause two's a crowd…”  Hint:  Hmm, invasion of privacy?

I don’t know if this has ever happened to you, but I have recently had the hiccoughs/hiccups for longer than I care to remember.  The last time was on our return from Hua Hin, for the whole trip.  They would go to sleep for a few minutes and then start up again.  When we got home, Lisa searched for remedies on the internet.  I tried several things that were mentioned, with no results.  Then I tried one that seemed easy enough and it worked.  The instructions were to plug both ears with fingers, and drink a glass of water slowly through a straw.  I did it yesterday evening and I haven’t had another ‘hic’ since.  There’s another thing about this that has always baffled me: The spelling.  Being close to someone who is trying to study the English language, it’s hard to explain why it’s spelled like it is.  Anyway, now you know how to get rid of them.

In Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Hua Hin we use a company called ‘Grab’ for transportation.  It’s like Lyft and Uber, Asian style.  Over the weekend we had two rare things happen.  First, while waiting for a car, we got a message stating: ‘Dangerous Driver’.  Lisa cancelled the order and got another car.  What?  The other odd thing was driving down the crowded road and hearing a loud ‘bang’.  At first we thought something hit the car.  Then the driver pulled over and stopped, pulled out his phone and showed us the English translation on the screen: ‘I broke the clutch’.  We stood by the roadside and got another car.  

This morning the ground had moisture on it.  Could it be?  We’re pretty sure that it rained a little bit last night.  It didn’t make a difference to the smokey drought problem, but it was water from the sky.  Everyone is hanging on, hoping for a surprise storm to clean the air, water the plants, and put out the fires and make it hard to start new ones.  

After lunch, Nitchanan came into the dining room clutching two of her little friends.  One was a doll and the other was a little plastic dog.  I asked her the doll’s name and she said, ‘Baby’.  When I asked about the dog, she told me his name.  Natcha had washed all of her stuffed animals and people.  It was quite a sight to see.  

The photo below is the morning view of the Gulf of Thailand standing in front of a big yellow tree like the one we have, but much older.


Feels like a Wacky Wednesday.

                        Peace,
                                  Danny

“Some people drink from the 
fountain of knowledge, others
just gargle.”
~Robert Anthony

No comments: