Monday, May 20, 2019

Art

Hi,

Today we are in Chiang Mai, where the high was 105°F.  It’s 9pm and it’s still 92°.  It was even hotter in Chiang Rai.  We will return to the extra hot place tomorrow, after a visit to the U.S. Consulate office and the doctor again, maybe.

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “Heat Wave” by Martha & The Vandellas.  ‘Easy Monday’ should be easy, it’s by a prolific band that is named after a majestic creature.  “Well, I’m a-running down the road tryin’ to loosen my load, I’ve got seven women on my mind.  Four that wanna own me, two that wanna stone me, one says she’s a friend of mine.  __ __ __, __ __ __.  Don’t let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy.  Lighten up while you still can, don’t even try to understand.  Just find a place to make your stand and __ __ __.”  Hint:  Complexities of finding romance on the road?

We left Chiang Rai this morning at 7:15am.  Our mission was to get to Chiang Mai in time to see the chiropractor before he finished his day at 12:30pm.  Considering the unknown time delay through the construction zone, we added an extra hour for good measure, plus time for food and pie, an early start was wise.  We arrived at 11:45, just in time for lunch-hour traffic and extra cars due to the Buddhist holiday.  We still got to the hospital in good time.  After our treatments, we needed food so we went to and S&P Restaurant, which is a chain throughout the country.  Not long after we ordered, our doctor, Dr. Parry came in for lunch.  Lisa talked him and learned that he’s leaving Thailand in August.  I tried to explain to him that it would be unacceptable, but he just laughed.  We also learn why there are so few chiropractors in Thailand.  In order to get a permit to practice, one must speak Thai.  That explains a lot.  

Below is the place mat at S&P.  Disney ‘lives’ in the form of ‘Princess Cakes’, even in Chiang Mai.  Hmm.


This evening we had dinner with a friend of ours from New York who has lived here for 13 years.  We tried a spot we haven’t been to in years.  Might not return, we’re such delicate, picky eaters (555).  We all had fun and the ambience was wonderful.  

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment at the U.S. Consulate to have a document notarized.  There are times when institutions in the States need to know the it’s really me doing certain business and the only way to ‘prove’ it is having me swear, as in raise my right hand and swear, that what I’m saying is true.  In order to do this I must go through a metal detector, have my bag x-rayed, and have it’s contents sorted before I can enter.  Not complaining, just find it interesting.  

After the swearing bit, we may go back to Dr. Parry, then it’s lunch and back on the road.  I’m finding that listening to an audio book can really take the tedium out of the long drive.  That is, of course, if it’s a good book with a good voice narrating, which usually means playing all the characters. 

Have a Great Week.

                        Peace,
                                  Danny 

“Every science begins as 
philosophy and ends as art.”
~Will Durant

No comments: