Friday, January 8, 2016

Friday Funnies

Hi,

It was great having a day without rain.  With all the time spent ‘out and about’, doing it dry was very cool.  The word is that Chiang Rai weather will be in the mid 80s during the day and mid to low 50s overnight.  I can handle that just fine.

The ‘Zany Day’ song was Chuck Berry’s “Roll Over Beethoven”.  For our ‘Old School Friday’ song we’re going back to 1970, which is rather old school for a lot of you.  “I wanna go outside __ __ __.  It may sound crazy but I wanna __ __ __.  ‘Cause I, I think I’m gonna cry, and I, I don’t want you to see my cry.  I wanna go outside __ __ __.  It may sound crazy, but I wanna go outside __ __ __.”  Hint:  That’s the chorus to a song about a man who wants to hide the tears with the water from the sky.  

Last night I felt like a kid from the country, walking down the street looking up at the sky.  There were so many flying machines up there.  In Chiang Rai there are a couple of evening flights and they don’t fly over our house, and I’m grateful for that.  There is one helicopter that flies over on rare occasions and mostly during the day.  It took a minute to look past the planes and appreciate the stars that were visible.

Thursday was what we call ‘Marina Day’.  The day when we visit with some of the people that Lisa worked with.  There were three ‘coffees’ and a lunch.  On our way we noticed that a nursery we used to buy plants from is gone.  The site is a vacant lot.  Another familiar corner is now the home of a large apartment house.  Oh, the changes.  

In the meanwhile, back at the ranch department, Natcha’s sister has been working at the house, learning the ropes.  She will take over most of the everyday duties when the baby arrives, which is supposed to be next month. It will be challenging because she speaks no English, though Natcha will be close by if we need help translating.  

Today’s photo is another one from the flower show.  An ocean of tulips.


I have purchased gas three times since we’ve been here.  The prices were all very different, with the most expensive being on Robertson Bl. in West Hollywood.  That was no surprise.  Altadena came in second, and for some strange reason the cheapest gas was right outside Marina del Rey.  Hmm.  The prize for the best name for a gas station goes to ‘Fuel Depot’.  Still not used to pumping my own gas.  Thailand has spoiled me on that one.  Last week we approached the math necessary to compare the price of gas in both countries.  Here’s the dilemma:  In Thailand we use Baht per Liter.  In the U.S. it’s Dollar per Gallon.  Lisa was working it out without paper and pencil, saying what we needed to know and then she paused and said, “And then you do something.”  We had a good laugh and let the whole thing go.  If you care to take a stab at it, go for it.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.   On to the ‘Funnies’.

             Peace,
                       Danny


No comments: