Monday, May 11, 2015

Live

Hi,

The weekend was a mix of very hot days, stormy nights, wonderful art and new corn.  Not a bad mix actually.

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “On Broadway” by The Drifters.  This week I promise to make ‘Easy Monday’ easy with this unforgettable tune from our friends from across the pond.  “What would you think if I sang out of tune, would you stand up and walk out on me?  Lend me your ears and I’ll sing you a song, and I’ll try not to sing out of key.  Oh, I get by __ __ __ __ __ __ __.  Mmmm, I get high __ __ __ __ __ __ __, Mmm, I’m gonna try __ __ __ __ __ __ __.”  Hint: Song about how nice it is to have friends.

Saturday afternoon I dropped Cat at the dance studio for her class and rehearsal, and then went to the language school to pick up Natcha.  The school is across the street from the ‘Prison Park’ in the center of town.  The name comes from the fact that many years ago, there was a prison at the same location, which was near the edge of town.  There is still some of the wall remaining.  While I was waiting, I heard music from the park.  I was taken by surprise when I heard the opening strains of The Eagles’ “Tequila Sunrise” blasting from behind the wall.  It was followed by a Thai favorite: “Hotel California”.  We have been to gatherings where the song was played and people sang along.  Interesting.

The art exhibit we attended in the evening was very stimulating.  The young artists were from various campuses of the equivalent of the state college system.  Most of the artists stepped out of the ‘Traditional’ box and had some very adventurous work on display.  Each artist stood by their work and it gave us a chance to meet them and ask questions.  I learned a lot about some of their motivations and what’s important to them.  The gallery was concerned that the turn-out was light, but it was a good crowd for viewing the exhibit.  Apparently, Chiang Rai United, our local football club, was playing that night.  

Saturday night we had one of those ’Storm of the Century’ encounters.  High winds and rain, plus thunder and lightning made it a night to remember.  The morning after, we discovered one of our young flowering trees had been knocked over.  It was not completely broken so we propped it up and hope it recovers.  Today we got bamboo to hopefully hold it and another young tree if the wind should return.   

The field next door has little green corn shoots coming up, and the large field across the road was planted today.  Soon, we will be surrounded by corn.  So much better than construction of any kind.  

Today’s photo is a garden bouquet that Lisa made with gifts from our yard.  


Have a Great Week.

                Peace,
                          Danny

“Live out of your imagination,
not your history.”
~Stephen R. Covey

No comments: