Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Who?


Hi,

Light rain was the weather for our drive to Chiang Mai.  The temps here are coolish compared to Chiang Rai.  It's been a very good day.

This week's 'Easy Monday' song was a snap for a bunch of you.  You even had funny commentary on the artist's love-life.
"It may seem to you that I'm acting confused when you're close to me.  If I tend to look dazed, I read it someplace I've got cause to be.  Well there's a name for it, there's a phrase that fits.  But whatever the reason you do it for me.  Oh,
__ __ __ __ __ __ __?"  Clue:  I'm paraphrasing the hook in the song, or there would be way too many little lines, but you get the idea.  Seven words forming a question about the nature of a certain relationship. 

This morning Daku must have sensed that something was going to be different.  He got his first clue when I took the suitcase upstairs the night before.  He was up, pacing, at 5am this morning.  It was raining lightly so we didn't do our usual play time.  We finished packing and were on the road by 8:30.  I guess the traffic was light because of the rain, or because it was earlier than we usually go.  Whatever the reason, we arrived at the hotel 3 hours later.  

We're staying at the Dusit D2, which is in the Night Bazaar district.  It's part of a chain of larger hotels, but this one is like a boutique version, with a very 'hip' theme.  Customer service is excellent and the modern look is fun.  Our plan was to take a cab to the appointment so I ordered one from the desk.  When we went down there was no cab.  Then we remembered that in Chiang Mai the taxis come from a central location.  If the trip is not very long, they either don't send a cab or you have to wait for one that is in the area.  We ended up taking a Tuk-Tuk.  

The doctor visit went fine and we now have a good chiropractor we can go to when necessary.  After a restful afternoon we had dinner in the hotel restaurant.  There was an item on the menu that I knew I just had to share with you.  It was listed in the curry section.  "Jungle Curry with Wild Boar".  Nope, I don't think so, but what a story to tell the folks back home if one were brave enough to eat it.  We had a traditional dish called Khao Soi (sounds like 'cow soy').  It's roots are in Burma and Laos and it's curry, fried rice noodles, and various garnishes.  We had it with chicken and when we ordered it the server told us it wasn't spicy.  Ha!  We realized there is no way to make a curry dish without it being spicy.  Most people who eat spicy food would not notice what I noticed.  I did get used to it and enjoyed it.  Since the presentation was so creative I thought I'd show you my dinner.  Oh, that red drink is a 'Tang Mo Pun', like a watermelon slushy.

                                       Khao Soi

After dinner we went to the Night Bazaar, which is huge compared to the one at home.  Prices are a little higher, as is the aggressive style of the vendors.  We saw many things over and over again.  There were some stand-outs, like beautiful silk scarves and hand-made jewelry items.  

Tomorrow we will do a few things in town and then return to Chiang Rai.  

Have a Happy Tuesday.

                  Peace,
                             Danny

"If I try to be like him,
Who will be like me?"
~Yiddish Proverb

No comments: