Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Education


Hi,

If anybody out there has any rain to spare, send it quick.  We need something to cool this place off a bit.  Actually, we're doing OK even with the extreme heat.  As a dear friend says, "Walk slow and drink lots of water."

The 'Easy Monday' song definitely has a following.  It's nice when it's easy and carries good vibes.  Good to have it back...
"You didn't run, you didn't lie, you knew I wanted just to hold you.  And had you gone, you knew in time we'd meet again for I had told you.  Ooh, you were meant to be near me.  Ooh, and I want you to hear me.  Say we'll be together every day.
__ __ __ __ __ __ __."  Clue:  The mystery of this tune revolves around and around, back in the '60s.  Uses two forms of the same word.

This morning it was 79 F at 6am.  So hot that Cousin Trudye sent me a message from Oakland, CA.  (555)  I don't know  how hot it was when we left for our shopping excursion to Makro, but it was well into the 80s.  I think the thing that has everybody talking about it so much is the humidity.  It feels heavy and oppressive.  On our way down the Super Highway we pulled up behind a pick-up truck that I have seen many times, but never had a camera ready.  It's an old Dodge that has been restored/customized and is one of the cleanest 'Hot Rods' I've seen in Chiang Rai.  See for yourself.

                              Cool Dodge Truck

Right now it's 8pm in Chiang Rai and the temp is 83, but feels like 85, with the humidity at 55%.  We have the luxury of air/con, but I'm wondering about the folks who live in little thatch houses.  They have to be hot, but not as hot as those living in the corrugated tin shacks.  There is a woman who appears to be living in a roadside sala (looks like a covered bus stop).  I have noticed her sitting on the bench, eating meals, but today she was sleeping on the ground with only cardboard between her and the dirt.  When we first arrived there was no one sleeping on the streets.  Now there are two people on one stretch of road, ironically, right in front of a luxury hotel.  Life goes on and I stay grateful.

Have a Happy Tuesday.

                Peace,
                           Danny

"Education is the most powerful tool
we can use to change the world."
~Nelson Mandela

No comments: