Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pessimist

Hi,
It was another warm day in Chiang Rai. The days start off cool but by mid-morning you can feel it coming on. We went to school, men cleaned the pool and work began on the wild animal compound.
Don't shoot me, I didn't write it. I hum it a lot though. Bob Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man" was the song in question. Whew.
"At first I thought it was infatuation But woo, it's lasted so long Now I find myself wanting To marry you and take you home
Whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...__ __ __..." Hint: I don't care when you were born, you gotta know this one. Honest, you do.
Yesterday, while driving to get the bamboo, Rene and I had a conversation about levels of logic. It has become apparent that there are many levels of logic. Driving in Thailand has shown me that what was logical in America, is not necessarily logical here. Driving on the wrong side of the road is a perfectly logical way to get around traffic here. That's not the same conclusion that would be drawn by an officer of the law in California. Rene recalled an incident where he was riding without his helmet and a policeman pulled up on a bike, with two children on it. He motioned for Rene to put on his helmet. He wasn't wearing one. Hmm.
This concept will grow in my mind and I'll probably be able to express it more clearly as I go deeper. You know how it is when you decide to be a philosopher. (Ha)
Our big adventure today was the party at Chiang Rai Tech. The students (60) were given sheets with questions they could try and ask, in English. We stood at the front of the classroom and asked for questions. It became very obvious that it was going to take some time to warm them up. They were very shy and those that did ask questions asked them with little quiet voices. It was mostly young men in their late teens. There were some young women and one of them wasn't shy at all. We ended up in two groups. One of the members of my group happened to be the president of the English Club. He was full of conversation and questions. When an hour had passed we had made new friends and some of them had opened up with their English. Snacks were set up buffet style and we hung around and talked and took pictures. I traded email addresses with the club pres. and another from our group wanted a picture of the two of us. We left there feeling really good about the whole encounter.
Rene is doing a very creative thing with the little enclosure for the dogs. (notice my optimistic use of the plural?) I'm taking some progress pics so you can see how it evolved. Today BamBam was hanging out with him while he worked on it. Little does she know that it will restrict her in the future. Hmm.
Tomorrow I may be a little late with this. We'll be attending the last of the funeral services and it may run late.
Have a Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars
or sailed to an uncharted land
or opened a new heaven to the human spirit."
~Helen Keller


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

www.risingstardom.com

No comments: