Monday, February 16, 2009

Courage

Hi,
Well, another weekend bites the dust. We did our usual Sunday with a massage and dinner on the town and the new week began with me having a 'Play Date' with Dr. Fun. Stay tuned.
Over the break, some of you were humming "The Best of My Love" from The Eagles. Remember? Let's start with an oldie:
"Baby, baby I'm aware of where you go, each time you leave my door. I watch you walk down the street, knowing your other love you'll meet..." Clues: Three supremely talented young women from the motor-city gang urging someone to pause.
Last week I mentioned how wonderful a Thai massage can be. There are a few things you should know if you decide to indulge. First of all, never let an operator twist your back. They have a move where they have you seated on the floor and they hold you from behind in what looks like a 'full nelson' wrestling move. Then they twist vigorously to the left and right. Not good. Things can go terribly wrong. The second thing to not allow is the walking on the back. Seems rather exotic but it can also lead to unwanted complications. Take it from me, it's just as soothing without these two things. Speaking of massage, I had a different woman this week and I think she set the bar for iron hands. Most of it was good but there were some moments when I felt like I needed to give away national secrets to get her to stop. At one point I told her 'bow bow' which means gently. I'm so glad I learned to say that.
In the Thai language the word for tooth is 'fun'. The word for dentist is 'mor fun'. Some kind of cruel joke in my book. Anyway, I had a tooth that needed to be removed for reasons I won't go into. Since I personally don't like to hear the details of other people's medical procedures I won't give you mine. Let's just say I was not looking forward to this appointment. Dr. Fun in this case is Dr. Nan. We'd been to see her in the past for teeth cleaning and she put a new cap on a tooth for me. This was the first time I had to have something done that had the potential for pain. She did an excellent job of making sure I didn't feel anything and the whole thing was a lot less than my imagination had conjured up. Whew. I'm doing fine and the whole thing cost about $15, including some Tylenol. It's interesting to note that you can't buy acetaminophen over the counter in the Kingdom. The only way to get it is by prescription.
After we left the hospital I felt OK enough to do some shopping. On our way to Big C we stopped for gas. I can't remember the last time we bought gas. I've been giving this a lot of thought and I've come to the conclusion that fuel lasts longer because we don't drive as far or as fast as we did in say, SoCal. By my calculations, with the help of a conversion chart, I usually drive between 25 and 49 mph around town. On the highway I usually cruise at around 60 to 65. There's not a lot of opportunities to go that fast so a tank of gas lasts a long time. Nice.
As far as the weather goes, I'll guess that you wish you were here. Have a Great Week anyway.

Peace,
Danny

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
~E. E. Cummings


Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
www.risingstardom.com
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: