Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Found

Hi,
Just winding down our second day in Bali. We started with a bright, sunny morning. We watched the surfers while eating breakfast. What a trip.
Whether you play the song game or not, I'm sure you recognized "Respect" by Aretha Franklin. If not, now you know. Here's an oldie:
"Tonight with words unspoken, you say that I'm the only one. But will my heart be broken when the night meets the morning sun?" Hint: That line is from the bridge. R&B "Girl group", many favorites, major question.
I had mentioned to John that I was having trouble with my hip. He told us about this wonderful healer in the village. Being adventurous and not liking the hurting thing, I went for it. One of the women offered to take me over to his place. I walked out, all ready to get in a car and drive there. She threw her leg over a motorbike and I had a 'moment'. Having been on the roads around the village, and considering that it's been about thirty years since I was on the back of a bike, I froze, momentarily. I took a deep breath and got on. Fear comes to mind. I kepttelling myself that she knew what she was doing. We got there and I hopped off with a big grin on my face.
The first thing I should mention is that his work space was outside, in a sort of patio, on a small raised area. It was open on three sides, with chairs for waiting facing the platform. I sat and watched him work on a woman and it was a bit odd. I had never watched someone else go through any kind of treatment, except for Lisa. Now I was sitting there watching a complete stranger wince and yell and express discomfort. Hmm, so you really want to do this? After her session, she left with a smile so I figured it must not have been that bad. I couldn't tell from his perspective because he smiled and laughed the whole time. What I got was a combination of reflexology, acupressure, mild manipulation, deep massage and some magic thrown in for good measure. Through testing methods he went right to the key problem and quite a few more. We had quite a time together laughing, making jokes and 'tuning' me up. Afterward, I placed my payment on an offering table behind him. He told me it was not for him. (100,000 rupia=$10) I called the house to be picked up and asked if they were coming in a car. Wrong way to ask. Answer: 'They'll be right there'. The bike returned and I told her, as I got on: 'Drive slow'. She laughed and drove slow. Oh, I do feel better.
This evening we went to a beautiful boutique resort for snacks. It's a collection of little houses that were moved to the property, each one different, each one typical small Bali house. There's a open-air pagoda style area where dance and yoga classes are held and a small restaurant. Very cool idea and it seems to stay booked.
Tomorrow we go into town for Uga Uga,the parade of spirits and lots of Gamelon bands (can't wait). Then Friday is the quiet day. Apparently many foreigners leave the island this time of year so they can escape the 'day of silence'. I guess it's just too much to bear. We're looking forward to it. Living on this little compound, it won't be so bad. I other areas, it might be different. It's against the law to be out on the street. You could be arrested. We can moved around without going 'outside'. The only thing we hear most of the time is the ocean, and the birds and the lizards and....
I mentioned that there are five dogs. I forgot to mention the goose. There used to be five, but the others got sick. It's a beautiful goose, but he acts like the roosters in Chiang Rai. Honks whenever he feels like it. Like in the middle of the night. John said he sleeps through it. Maybe it just takes time.
That's all for now. Have a Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"I can't be found in myself;
I discover myself in others.
That much is clear.
And I suspect that I also love and care for myself in others."
~Hugh Prather

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: