Friday, November 2, 2007

Friday Funnies

Hi,

Well, I sounds like some of you really got in the 'spirit' of things. I got mail, reporting in on costumes and kids. In the costume department, Jimmy has to get a prize for this one. "I put a chair on my head and went as a piece of gum". Brilliant. I mean, it's just so 'out'. Linda was The Devil, C-Bass went out as Borat (he got mistaken for Sonny Bono, who he didn't know) and August was (what else?) a DJ. August did the Trick or Treat deal for just a little while. His thing is giving out the candy. He's loved it for years. This year he had sound effects going and a strobe light. We predict that in years to come, he'll have traffic backed up on their street, just to see what he's done.

Congrats to all the gouls and gobblins who knew "The Monster Mash" by Bobby 'Boris' Pickett, 1962. Linda sent this:

"Pickett was an aspiring actor who sang with a band called The Cordials at night while going to auditions during the day. One night, while performing with his band, Pickett did a monologue in imitation of horror movie actor Boris Karloff while performing The Diamonds' "Little Darlin'". The audience loved it and fellow band member, Lenny Capizzi encouraged Pickett to do more with the Karloff imitation. Pickett and Capizzi composed "Monster Mash" and recorded it with Gary
Paxton, Leon Russell, Johnny McCrae and Rickie Page, credited as "The Cryptkickers". This song was partially inspired by Paxton's earlier novelty hit "Alley Oop", as well as by the Mashed Potato dance craze of the era." And now you know.


"__-__-__-__-__, honey Don't you know that I love you __-__-__-__-__, baby, Don't you know that I'll always be true. Oh, won't you come with me and take my hand? Oh, won't you come with me and walk this land? Please take my hand..." Clues: The guitar riff in this song has been know to send grown people into a mono-syllabic frenzy, bobbing their heads and chanting words they don't understand. The song had one verse and one chorus, said little, but became an anthem. Oh, group is named for something that is probably, physically impossible.

We did more work on the house today. A man came and put some boards down in the attic so we can store stuff up there. We went into town for our lesson, but first we stopped by 'The August Store' (the one with all the mixing gear and things that plug in) to exchange a 'step-down' that fried. A 'step-down' is a transformer of sorts, that plugs into the 220v wall socket and converts the power to 120v so we westerners can have our devices from 'home'. We've found that many items will work with the 220v plugs, like cell-phone chargers, computer power supplies, etc. So, that's a part of the new life, dealing with truly alternating currents. This is going to be an interesting adventure in itself.

We also paid our first phone bill today. Actually, it's the house phone and we don't ever use it. We get calls, but we usually have Boot talk to the caller, since it's always in Thai, and mostly sales people. The bill was $3.90 for the month. Can you imagine your base phone bill being the much (or that little)?? Even if we start making outgoing calls, it's still a deal.

And now, I think it's time for the 'Funnies', sent in by Blue a while back. Have a Great WeekEnd.



Peace,

Danny



A Gift for Mama

Four brothers left home for college, and they became successful doctors
and lawyers and prospered. Some years later, they chatted after having dinner
together. They discussed the gifts they were able to give their elderly
mother who lived far away in another city.

The first said, "I had a big house built for Mama."

The second said, "I had a hundred thousand dollar theater built in the house."

The third said "I had my Mercedes dealer deliver an SL600 to her."

The fourth said, "You know how Mama loved reading the Bible and you know
she can't read anymore because she can't see very well. I met this preacher
who told me about a parrot that can recite the entire Bible. It took twenty
preachers 12 years to teach him. I had to pledge to contribute $100,000 a
year for twenty years to the church, but it was worth it. Mama just has to
name the chapter and verse and the parrot will recite it."

The other brothers were impressed. After the holidays Mom sent out her
thank you notes. "She wrote: "Milton, the house you built is so huge. I live
in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house. Thanks anyway."

"Marvin, I am too old to travel. I stay home, I have my groceries
delivered, so I never use the Mercedes. The thought was good. Thanks."

"Michael, you gave me an expensive theater with Dolby sound, it could hold
50 people, but all my friends are dead, I've lost my hearing and I'm nearly
blind. I'll never use it. Thank you for the gesture just the same."

"Dearest Melvin, you were the only son to have the good sense to give
little thought to your gift. The chicken was delicious. Thank you."



Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

No comments: