Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Artist

Hi,

We had a rather dark, cloudy day today.  The ground felt like it rained last night.  It was good to have the cool air.

The ‘Easy Monday’ song was “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers.  It’s ‘Zany Day’ time again.  Who remembers?
“Hey now baby, get into my big black car.  Hey now baby, get into my big black car.  I just want to show you, what my politics are.  I’m a political man, and I practice what I preach.  I’m a political man, and I practice what I preach.  So don’t deny me baby, not while you’re in my reach.”  Clue:  I realize I use this tune a lot, but right now it’s the last zany opportunity before the U.S. elections and it seems timely.  The title is one word.

I guess you could call this a light day as far as activity goes.  The highlight of the day was coffee at The Wanderer, where it’s so laid back in the mornings that it’s like a little vacation.  While we were waiting for our coffee, a cool groove came from the speakers.  I got up and went to the iPad that’s connected to the sound board.  The CD that was playing was “The Jazz King” and was made up of compositions by The King, performed by Larry Carlton and an all-star cast of players.  I found it on Amazon, but still looking for a local source.  You just never know what you’re going to learn on any given day.  We got another surprise as we were leaving.  Khun Kwan and Khun Kern, who run the place with their mom, were in a meeting outside.  We went over to give them some treats for Mercy and the couple they were with were planning a wedding.  It turns out we know them.  He is a ceramics artist and a member of Art Bridge.  We got invited to the wedding on November 12.  Small world.

When we returned from our coffee date there was a lot happening in the front.  Gong was cutting grass around the edges of the yard using the weed-wacker, and Natcha was pushing the lawnmower.  On the front porch, Neetchanon was being entertained by Gong's sister Gope.  In the back yard Khun Na was cleaning the pool.  Our little village is thriving.

Lately, I’ve been watching a lot of what the Australians call ‘American Grid Iron’, or football.  Most of the time I don’t have a particular team I’m rooting for.  Sometimes I choose like my mom did, if they have cool uniforms or they’re underdogs they’ll get my cheers.  If you’ve ever watched rugby, football can seem a little tame, but it’s all just a game and they all get beat up at some point.  Maybe that’s why tennis and the other net games seem so civilized (555).

There are some very old trees in Chiang Rai.  We’ve been told that it’s not unusual to see trees that are over 100 years old.  Today’s photo is a very old, very large tree at The Wanderer.  Lisa is standing by it to show the perspective.


Could be a Wacky Wednesday.

              Peace,
                        Danny

“Every child is an artist.
The problem is how to remain
an artist once we grow up.”
~Pablo Picasso

No comments: