Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday Funnies

Hi,

I'm here on the island of Phuket, in southern Thailand. It's been an interesting travel day. I haven't been to the area where I'll be spending most of the weekend yet, but I've seen some sights.

The 'Summer of Love' song was "Try A Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding. It's time for 'Old School Friday' and I think you know this one: "Fine little girl, she waits for me. Me catch the ship for cross the sea. Me sail the ship, all alone. Me never think me make it home. __ __ oh, oh, me gotta go (repeat)." Hint: Two words, both the same. Remember, this is 'Old School Friday' and this is from the 50s. 'Cool Points' if you give the correct answer for the artist. Clue: It's a person 'and' a group.

Today was 'Late Plane Day' for Asia Airlines. The morning flight to Bangkok was to board at 8:05am but at 8:20 the plane had not arrived. When we got to BKK we had to wait on an outside staircase until a bus came to take us to the terminal. The flight to Phuket had the same problem, no plane to board. Fortunately, it didn't cause any problems for me so I guess it's just one of those things.

The first thing that struck me on arrival in Phuket was the heat. Way hotter than Chiang Rai. After getting my suitcase I went out into the lobby area to look for the driver that would take me to my hotel. There was a gauntlet of taxi drivers that I had to wade through and then I saw a few people with hotel signs. None of them was from my hotel. A woman asked me which hotel I was going to and when I told her she pointed outside. There were at least thirty people leaning on a rail, all holding signs from different hotels. I slowly went from one end to the other until I saw my name. Whew. The trip to the hotel is about 40 minutes and the woman who drove me spoke a tiny bit of English. We had a polite conversation in both languages and then rode in silence the rest of the way. The scenery reminded me a lot of Krabi, which is also in the south. There are no Tuk-Tuks as we know them. Just motorbikes with sidecars. We passed a place called the 'Mango Saloon', and another building that had a big sign saying 'The Future', with logos for electronic products. A big sign on the door said 'For rent', which made me chuckle. The Future is for rent. (Ha)

I'm staying at Patong Suite Home, which is run by a very nice guy named Max. He's an expat from Italy and he's been here for 3 years. My little room is all I need since I won't be here much. It's on the third floor, with no elevator, and has one of those 'all in one' bathrooms where the shower is right on the wall next to the toilet. There is internet, but it's only available in the lobby. So much for late night cruising.

Speaking of cruising, Patong Beach is known for being the party capital of Asia. I'm staying off the main street where all that happens, and sticking to the hotel with my friends. I'll have more to tell you on Monday.

It rained today in Chiang Rai. Just enough to wet the lawns and clear the air. I talked to Daku on the phone, and from what Lisa tells me, he knew it was me but was very curious as to what was going on.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd. Time for some 'Funnies'.

Peace,
Danny

Old Harold

I was having trouble with my computer. So I called Harold the computer guy, to come over. Harold clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem.
He gave me a bill for a minimum service call. As he was walking away, I called after him, "So, what was wrong?" He replied, "It was an ID ten T error." I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, "An, ID ten T error? What's that ... in case I need to fix it again?"
Harold grinned.... "Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?"
"No," I replied.
"Write it down," he said, "and I think you'll figure it out."
So I wrote down: I D 1 0 T
I used to like Harold.............

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: