Friday, June 7, 2019

Friday Funnies


Hi,

Another beautiful day in Chiang Rai.  Very hot, with scattered clouds, mostly blue sky.  Same as it ever was.

The ‘Middle Song’ was “You’ve Got A Friend”, written by Carole King and also recorded by James Taylor.  The ‘Old School Friday’ song is from King's 1970 album, but was first recorded in 1962 by a group you should know.  Extra ‘Cool Points’ if you know the group.  “When this old world starts getting me down, and people are just too much for me to face.  I climb way up to the top of the stairs, and all my cares just drift right into space.  __ __ __ it’s peaceful as can be, and there the world below can’t bother me… __ __ __ __”  Hint:  The top of a building.  The title is four words.

This morning Lisa supervised some planting by the pool.  The plants we bought a few days ago have found a happy home.  Next week another flower bed will get remodeled.  

The big news around here is the revelation that the big building off the corner of our lot, will be a meditation center.  The smaller, mystery lot, will be a tiny house.  The big place should be fairly quiet if that’s really what it 
is.  Can’t imagine too much noise (555).  The photo below is from the corner of our lot, behind our pool.


The Wanderer was our coffee stop today.  We learned that the little rescue puppy, Joy (sounds like Joey), will probably be staying.  Everyone in the family, especially Mercy, has taken a liking to the little guy.  

Today we traveled to the south end of town to HomePro.  They have a garden center with lots of special things to keep plants healthy.  They also have an array of 4K HD TV monitors right in one’s path to the exit.  It always starts a conversation, as it’s supposed to, about whether seeing things in this enhanced reality is really healthy (555).  Does reality become boring after viewing the super crisp images?  Today we conceded that tennis would be better because we could see the ball better during ‘clay season’.  I’m still leaning that way, especially since current vision is not what it was 20 years ago.  

A few nights ago Cat asked a question about English that was an eye-opener.  She wanted to know why some words that ended in ‘ed’ were not pronounced with that as a syllable.  For instance: bounced is pronounced ‘bounst’ in reality.  Whereas wasted is pronounced wast-ed.  In fact, pronounced ends with the ‘st’ sound.  I never learned any rule about this and it was never really discussed.  Weird, huh?

Cat’s two-week observation session ended today and she moved back to her ‘dorm’.  Regular classes begin next week.  In her fifth year she will spend a year as a student teacher.  The school where she observed may ask her to return, in which case, she would move back ‘home’ for a year.  Daku said that will be fine with him, although, we’re reserving the right to keep him with us at night whenever we like.  

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.    Stay tuned for the ‘Funnies’, which were discovered at The Wanderer.  Formula 1 is in Canada this weekend.  Zoom!

                   Peace,
                             Danny


1 comment:

Michael Deak said...

Hi, Danny and Lisa!
It's been a long time since we chatted! Hope you guys are well and happy! Today, I talked with a fact-checker from the New York Times. the conversation was about an article coming out on Teddy June 16th in the New York Times magazine (I think that's what it is called). I had had a conversation with the author some months ago and this is the culmination of that conversation. I'm not sure how many sources the author contacted, but I tried to have them contact you--apparently to no avail. The bulk of the article is pertaing to a destructive fire at Universal which wiped out a lot of archives; how this pertaines to Teddy I don't know. Still, you might watch for this article. I probably had memory lapses for specific events and where they occurred, but I did my best.
I think I've made it clear that I've been "fangirling" Pentatonix for the last 5 or so years. Well, I wrote them a Christmas song (lyrics by Janice Jarrett, formerly with "Borrowed Time"--a magnificent 5-voice group in the '80s). Anyway, I'm going to FINALLY be able to deliver the song to PTX! I obtained VIP tickets for their July 3rd concert at the Tacoma Dome--10 miles from my house! It will be interesting to see how this all develops! Drop me a line if you can! Love to you both. Michael