Monday, March 11, 2019

Ask

Hi,

The weather has remained the same, the smog has done the same.  In other parts of Thailand it is much worse than where we are.  We’re getting occasional breezes that may move some of the smokey air, but it’s just a temporary measure.  We need a storm with wind and rain, for about 15 minutes, twice a day.  In a few days we’d be good.  The trash would be soaked, the forest fires would be out and we’d all be breathing again.

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was the classic “You Send Me” by Sam Cooke.  Time once again for an ‘Easy Monday’ song.  “People say I’m the life of the party ‘cause I tell a joke or two.  Although I maybe laughin’ loud and hearty, deep inside I’m blue.  So take a good look at my face, you’ll see my smile looks out of place.  If you look closer, it’s easy to trace the __ __ __ __.”  Hint:  

Our weekend turned out to be fairly busy.  Saturday morning we took Daku to the vet after discovering that his ‘hot spot’ had turned into a raging infection.  The doctor confirmed our suspicions and gave him immediate treatment.  This included a very unglamorous shave around the infected area.  Pour puppy is fine as long as he is still, but when he get up, it hurts.  He rushes around to his next destination and plops down, trying to lick it in the process.  The hood is causing him to crash into anything near his path.  It’s gonna take some time.

In the afternoon, Cat arrived with her friends from Singapore, along with two class-mates from her university.  After a tour of the house, Cat called a cab to take them to a town north east of Chiang Rai, where they did a project the last time they were in Thailand.  The taxi Cat contacted was a woman who Blue used as his driver when he went on photo expeditions and medical treatments.  She didn’t know that Blue had passed and Cat had to tell her.  It was a sad moment for both of them.  After the visitors left, we hung out with Cat’s school friends for awhile.  
The Singapore group will return tomorrow afternoon.

Sunday we had lunch at The Wanderer, and dinner at Melt In Your Mouth.  One of the things I have to remember is to be sure and tell the servers that I cannot have any ‘spicey’.  In Thai the phrase is ‘mai pet’.  Last night I ordered a dish I was familiar with, but forgot to mention the 'mai pet' part.  When it came to the table, the first thing I noticed was four dark red chili peppers sitting on top.  I took them off and tried a little of the noodles that were on the edge of the bowl.  At first it was OK, and then I was on fire.  We had to send it back and get the same thing ‘mai pet’.  My drink order more than made up for the food fiasco.  It was a Mango Pun, think mango and ice in a high-speed blender.  It was delicious, even with the brain freeze (555).

Today’s photo is a throwback to before the Big Brown House.  Way out in the back you can see me and Supat, who helped us acquire the spot.  


This morning (Monday) we went to the mall for coffee.  We did a brief tour of the new UNIQLO store, decided it was a little pricey and left.  Some of it was a little preppy for me as well.  As we were leaving the mall we saw our friends Chalit and his brother Nu.  It’s always nice to run into smiling faces.

The ‘Kookie Kween’, as I call her, baked a batch of chocolate heaven today, along with her order for the coffee shop.  The cookies she makes for me are done with organic cocao and something called cacoa nibs and it’s all very healthy for the blood.  This means that they’re actually something I can eat without feeling guilty (5).  

Have a Great Week.   

                         Peace,
                                   Danny

“If you want something said,
ask a man; if you want something
done, ask a woman.”
~Margaret Thatcher

No comments: