Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Facts

Hi,

After yesterday’s ‘driving rain’, today’s occasional showers were refreshing.  There is thunder in the distance.  Who knows what it will bring?

So far, three readers know the ‘Easy Monday’ song.  I’m guessing more of you know.  Maybe these words will help:
“She asked me to stay and she told me to sit anywhere.  So I looked around and I noticed there wasn’t a chair.  I sat on the rug, biding my time, drinking her wine.  We talked until two and then she said, ‘It’s time for bed’.  She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh.  I told her I didn’t and crawled off to sleep in the bath…. isn’t it good __ __?”  Hint:  This tune by those four lads could have been a ‘Zany Day’ song.  Should be easy.

Even though we were only gone for one night, Daku missed us.  He followed us around Monday night as if we’d been gone for weeks.  In the past, when we were gone, he slept in what was Cat’s room.  Now that she’s gone he sleeps in the kitchen.  Probably enjoys the cool tile floor.  I’ll bet if the door had been open to the guest room, he would have stayed in there.  

It’s hard to believe that next week will mark nine years since we moved to Thailand.  That must be why certain changes here seem so pronounced.  Remembering some of the early days as we travel certain roads, some of the changes are bitter sweet.  I keep reminding myself that everything changes.  The things I love the most haven’t changed and that’s important.
 
There are a couple of expat sites devoted to Chiang Rai.  On these pages one can get help, find things in English, and discover places to eat and do business.  Between that and riding around, it’s pretty clear that this place is moving into another level of sophistication.  At least part of it is.  The beauty is that it can only change so much, since the majority culture still has it’s own ways.  I like that aspect, progress with limitations.  There will always be local markets, food stalls, and bamboo ladders (555).

This morning we did Big C, and then lunch at The Wanderer.  The U.S. Open tennis tournament has started so we’ll be torn between that and normal ‘programming’.  

Today’s photos are from Doy Din Dang.  The first pic is a large pot.  The image inside the rim is a reflection of what’s above.  The pot is filled with rain water.  The second pic was taken in the tiny coffee shop where we sit and chat with the owners and look out on a large pond.  Surreal.




Have a Happy Tuesday.

                 Peace,
                           Danny

“Facts do not cease to exist
because they are ignored.”
~Aldous Huxley

No comments: