Monday, June 16, 2014

Nothing

Hi,

Our dear friend Mr. Lag stayed with us through the weekend.  I think he may be gone now, but it didn't take away the desire for an afternoon nap.  (555)  Allowing time for our 'intruder' has been tricky, but we've learned how to schedule around him.

The 'Old School Friday' tune was "Moody's Mood for Love" as sung by King Pleasure.  It's based on a horn solo by James Moody for the song "I'm In The Mood For Love".  The style of this song is called vocalese, the art of setting lyrics to an existing instrumental improvisation.  Now you know.  I guess this means it's time for 'Easy Monday'.  
"I feel so unsure, as I take your hand and lead you to the dance floor.  As the music dies, something in your eyes calls to mind the silver screen, and all its sad goodbyes.  I'm never gonna dance again.  Guilty feet have got no rhythm.  Though it's easy to pretend, I know you're not a fool.  Should've known better than to cheat a friend, and waste the chance that I've been given, so I'm never gonna dance again the way I danced with you."  Hint:  It's easy. It's about speaking very softly.  Hmm.

Saturday we had lunch with my mom and our good friend Blue.  We found a place in Pasadena that caters to specific food needs, which made it easier to order.  "Pita Jungle" is willing to work around food allergies and dietary needs, and the food was good.  We had fun driving through town, remembering what used to be on which street corner, and all the memories that came with those places.  A couple that stood out in my mind were Ford's record shop, where I bought my first 78s, and Nell's barbershop.  The very first record I got was 'Bo Diddley' by Bo Diddley.  Hmm.  Nell had a neighborhood shop where she specialized in cutting kids' hair.  She was really nice and would support whatever project we might have going.  I remember one year I was selling boxes of Christmas cards and Nell bought a box from me.  She probably had stacks of them in the back room.  

By the time we finished lunch and visited at my mom's house, Mr. Lag was tugging on my sleeve.  We drove down to Alhambra to visit Lisa's childhood friend Deb and I ended up crashing on the couch.  It was just what I needed in order to be alert for the major traffic jam we encountered on the freeway going home.  We took an alternate route down Wilshire and it was interesting to see a part of L.A. that we usually don't visit. 

We got back to the Westside in time to have dinner with our friend Kathie.  We always meet at Emerald Thai and it's always a fun visit. 

There is a little game that we've been playing in the car.  We make note of driving opportunities that might be undertaken 'Thai style' if we were in Chiang Rai.  The big one (that I wouldn't dare try here) is the practice of making a left turn in front of the opposing traffic as soon as the light changes.  It's one of my pet peeves, and I don't do it unless the oncoming cars just sit there.  Sometimes they will wait, almost expecting you to turn in front of them.  

I hope the Dads out there had a nice Father's day.  I got a card from C-Bass and August that was touching.  Lisa went to dinner with the family and I dined with my dear friend Mark.  

Today's photo was taken in Healthy Market, where we buy our vegetables and fruit.  The artist opened his shop, set out his work and took a nap.  


Have a Great Week.

               Peace,
                         Danny

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance
and conscientious stupidity."
~Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments: