Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Funnies


Hi,

I'm writing to you from the big city of Chiang Mai.  The weather is the same as in Chiang Rai so you know how I feel.  It's been a mostly mellow day and evening.  

The 'Zany Day' song this week was "Bennie & The Jets" by Elton John.  'Old School Friday' should put you in a mood:
"I like to dream yes, right between my sound machine, on a cloud of sound I drift in the night, any place it goes is right.  Goes far, flies near, to the stars away from here.  Well, you don't know what we can find.  Why don't you come with me little girl, on a __ __ __..."  Hint:  The three word title may evoke visions of genies and stuff.

One of the rules of home ownership should be 'Always keep an eye on anyone working on your house'.  I don't like to hover, but there are times when supervision can save a lot of angst.  When the wiring for the gate was repaired the wires for the lights on our wall got cut.  It all happened at the same time, yet the claim was 'a short'.  This is an easy out apparently.  Today we had another crew come to fix the lights.  I wanted the yellow tubing that contained the new wire to be painted dark brown.  Should have been there when the painting was done.  My understanding is that there is now an abstract pattern of brown paint on the wall.  Oh well, the paint was fading anyway.  (555)

Today's photo is the logo for 'Rasta Chicken'.  When you realize that this is in Northern Thailand is has more meaning.


My bus ride was uneventful.  It still amazes me how they can make the trip in exactly three hours, regardless of traffic on the road.  Maybe I shouldn't want to know.  The scenery is greener than usual due to recent storms.  I did notice some intentional fires along the roadside that were disturbing.  Just before I saw the fires I noticed signs with a symbol banning burning.  After a couple of TV shows on my iPad, I took a nap and the next thing I knew we were on the outskirts of Chiang Mai.  The volume of vehicles is such a contrast to Chiang Rai.  I will have to remind myself that we really don't have bad traffic in our 'city/town'.  

When the bus pulled into the station there was a young woman dressed in the traditional costume of the hotel, waiting for me with a sign with my name on it.  She motioned to a van a few feet away, the driver got my bag and away we went.  I was expecting their courtesy Tuk-Tuk, but the weather is so hot they sent the van.  She spoke very good English and we talked about Chiang Rai and the weather all the way to the hotel.  This service was free.  What a nice place to stay.  

The center where my meeting was held is within walking distance so I had a chance to savor the sidewalk scene on a Friday evening.  There were many carts cooking food, with tables and chairs blocking the narrow sidewalk.  I got into the rhythm of stepping into the street to pass the 'restaurants' and then continuing on the sidewalk.  The people who are cooking really have it rough.  The air is very hot, and the temperature by their stoves is incredible.  I felt the fire from one as I passed and the thought of standing there, stirring a wok and preparing meals was beyond me.  

Tomorrow morning I will board the bus and return home.  Sunday we're going back to Art Bridge for dinner with friends.

Have a Wonderful WeekEnd.    Hang on for the 'Funnies'.

                      Peace,
                                 Danny


No comments: