Thursday, April 7, 2016

Progress


Hi,

I’m ‘broadcasting’ live from Chiang Mai, where it’s hotter than Chiang Rai (555).  It will be good to get back to the cool country.  Who am I kidding, it’s just a few degrees cooler.

The ‘Zany Day’ song is actually a rather sad/zany tune if there is such a thing.  Your responses tell me you still like it.  “A broom is drearily sweeping up the broken pieces of yesterday’s life.  Somewhere a queen is weeping, somewhere a king has no wife.  And __ __ __ __.”  Hint:  Something stronger than a breeze and a name.  Yeah, that’s a hint.

The only big difference in our drive to Chiang Mai this morning was the state of the landscape.  The dry weather has taken its toll on a lot of the brush and many small trees.  This trip we saw brown where there used to be green. The region really needs some rain.  We stopped for pie and I was surprised at how dense the air was.  The smell of smoke made hanging out an afterthought.  

The main point of the trip was to see the doctor for my follow-up and see if things are healing properly.  Based on the guidelines, I’m doing fine. So, it’s slow progress, but progress just the same.  I am relieved.

Riding around the city and not having to drive gives me a chance to see things I would miss while concentrating on the road.  We passed an auto supply store that had a big tire in front with what looked like snow chains.  What?  We decided that they might be used for driving in the mud.  We’ll leave it at that.  

There is a coffee stand near the hotel that offers a cup of good black coffee a lot cheaper than the hotel.  On our last trip that was where Lisa would go.  She went back this afternoon and the guy apologized for not being there on the Sunday of our last trip.  He had told Lisa he’d be open but he didn’t make it.  It’s been 5 weeks and he remembered.  Amazing Thailand.  

Today’s photo is the menu at the coffee stand.  It’s interesting to see how strong the desire is to post signs in English, even without the benefit of a ‘proof reader’.


The hotel staff keeps asking me how I’m doing now, and if I’m feeling better.  It seems we have made some real connections with these young people.  I honestly think it has a healing affect.  

Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                Peace,
                          Danny

“Never discourage anyone who continually
makes progress, no matter how slow.”
~Aristotle

No comments: