Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nothing

Hi,

Today was really hot in Chiang Rai. Daku now has inpatient status and BamBam is lonely.

We finally got an 'Easy' one on Monday. It was "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" by Steely Dan. Now sing this:
"And all the girls walk by, dressed up for each other. And the boys do the boogie-woogie on the corner of the street..." Hint: This '71 tune is by an Irish singer who loves the blues. The second verse lyrics describe the scene of an unfolding evening. Hmm.

Yesterday I reported that Baby Daku was going to be alright. Well, he will be but not until he has a rock removed from his intestines. He had a rough night last night and this morning he turned down breakfast. We took him back to the vet and he kept him so they could take x-rays and give him an i-v for nourishment. Poor guy hadn't eaten since yesterday's breakfast. Later we saw the x-ray and it was clear what the problem was. Dr. Arnon will operate tomorrow morning and Daku will stay in the hospital until Monday. It's difficult emotionally but we'll get through this. Daku is with a very competent doctor and we found out today that there's another Golden a month older that just had a rock removed. I guess it's what they do. The other dog is doing fine now.

How hot was it? It was so hot that I saw at least three bike riders carrying electric fans. I guess someone needed relief and they were delivering. It was quite a sight.

The daughter of the carpet guy came over today with more samples. The one we had chosen was out of stock so she brought some new samples and we found an even better choice than before. Many Thais are reluctant to tell us their real names because they think it will just overwhelm us. Such was the case today when Lisa asked about her name. She thought, stammered and then said, "You can call me 'Cutie'". Everyone has a short, simple play name but now I was curious. She told us her real name and it wasn't that hard.

Speaking of names, I'm sure you've Googled yourself at one time or another, just out of curiosity. (Ha) I read an article in the L.A. Times about how easy it is to get access to certain personal information from 'social network' sites and search engines. I went to snitch.name and discovered there are over 130 people around the world with my name. What? I was floored. I became weak and disoriented and my vision blurred. (Ha) It does rattle one. So, setting about to find a new name can be playful, nerve racking and self-centered. Maybe I'll do like they do here. Just pick an object and be that. The list of names that have no specific meaning to the person is long and curious. Short list: Milky, Boy, Boot, Yam, Bam, Moo, and Pun (short for Apple). I have no idea where all this is really going, except that I resent all those people running around with my name. So there.

This really is Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."
~Auguste Rodin

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: