Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gratitude

Hi,

Chiang Rai is still getting light rain, but it lasts for hours. Today's episode started early in the morning and lasted until about 8:30am. Nothing like other parts of Thailand. We learned a new word, I was given a new shirt, and we're back to the old story of 'too cold to swim'.

It seems that 'Old Folk Crap' day is turning into an exercise in cultural education. There's been a lot of research on this song by many of you. That's wonderful. If you haven't gotten it yet, this verse may ring a bell. I hope so.
"So mother, tell your children, not to do what I have done. And live your lives in sin and misery in the __ __ __ __ __." Clue: Most of you may know this as a 60s hit by a group from across the water. First recording was in 1920 (thanks Barry). Something about a hotel with a bad rep.

This morning we went into town. Lisa had a salon appointment, and I had a list of errands. I enjoy seeing the city doing it's thing in the morning. It's probably the same everywhere, but there's something more immediate about it here. Instead of watching delivery trucks go to the back of the supermarket, I watch a man and his wife deliver fresh vegetables to a roadside stand on their motorbike. I think that gives you an idea of what I mean. As I was crossing the bridge that leads toward home I looked over to see the level of the river. There was a monk, in his bright orange robes, standing on the muddy shore, just looking at the river. I turned my head back to the road and saw the old woman who walks up and down the road, a bag over her shoulder, and a walking stick for support.
All that was a distinct contrast to the three high-tech stores I went into looking for an item. There's a little bit of everything, new and old, fast and slow, high and low. It's never gets dull.

Our friend Tye and her family returned from a big vacation trip yesterday. She and Napa came over today and brought us gifts from the trip. Tye brought Lisa a beautiful turquoise jewelry set, and I now have a cool brown t-shirt with a burlap inset with the name of a province, in Thai. Now we have to look at a map so we understand where they went. There are many provinces in Thailand. They are like states. People assume that you know where they are, but we're clueless. If you look at a detailed map of the country you will understand.

Yesterday, while driving with Sutheera, Lisa learned a new use for a Thai word. Today she passed it on to me. When someone is driving badly they are a 'Kwai' (my spelling) which means buffalo. Makes sense to me. It's comforting to have a word to mumble to myself as I make my way through the city. (555)

The event we thought was tonight is really tomorrow night. It just means we may be doubling up on the fun a bit. That means that I'll be sending you your Friday message in my late afternoon. I'll give you a festival rundown next week.

Enjoy Your Thursday.

Peace,
Danny

"Gratitude is one of the sweet shortcuts
to finding peace of mind and happiness inside.
No matter what's going on outside of us,
there's always something we could be grateful for."
~Barry Neil Kaufman

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: