Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Formula

Hi,
A giant full moon, a sky full of fire, a river full of lights and the sounds of music and thunder. That's what's happening as I write to you. It's Loy Krathong in all its splender.
Some of you remembered "Anyone Who Had A Heart" by Dionne Warwick. Some of you were too young. Paul wrote that he had a Fisher-Price radio with colorful buttons and dials. So that's why he didn't know the song. (I hope you got that) Onward and upward with another challenging piece of musical history. "Shadows grow so long before my eyes, and they're moving across the page. Suddenly the day turns into night, far away from the city. But don't hesitate, 'cuz your love won't wait. Ooooh __ __ __ __ __ everyday" Clues: This mid 70s hit was a live recording and the first release by this artist. We loved the way his guitar literally talked to us. Hmm.
I went out to Toyota again today to get some brake work done. They were all booked up so I go back on Friday. During the course of finding all this out, the woman helping me called a young man who speaks English. After he explained the booking problem, he asked me where I was from. This is the question everyone wants to know. Where are people from. I suppose I'm just as curious at Venice Beach when I see what appear to be tourists. Here, it's obvious as to who the 'outsiders' are. When they learn that you live here there are even more questions. When I'm by myself, there's the question of marriage. When they learn that I'm married, then it's 'do you have a Thai wife?'. When they discover that my wife is American, there's a warm smile that comes over their faces. It's as if we really must love their country, that I didn't come here for a woman. Some people even say 'good'. Hmm. Just thought I'd share some new insights.
This evening after dinner, Boot lit three candles and set them on the back deck. Then the three of us went out on the lawn and sent three balloons into the night. In case you tuned in late, the balloons/lanterns are made of very thin paper. They're about four feet tall and have a flammable ring at the bottom. The fire from the ring produces hot air which makes the balloon rise and fly away. Hence, fire in the sky.
The moon is so full that it looks like you could touch it. It's so bright that it's hard to look at for too long. We stood in the back yard, heads thrown back, watching our giant paper lantern sail up and away. The way the breeze was blowing, ours drifted over toward the river and joined the flow of lights coming from the banks.
We decided to stay at home and just enjoy the show from across the river. It seems like the intensity of the whole celebration is greater than last year and we just didn't feel like dealing with the crowd, the noise and the random fireworks being hurled about. So, we can see fireworks, balloon releases and enjoy the energy from our upstairs window. BamBam has been sitting out there with Lisa while I type. For a while she was sitting on Lisa's lap, watching the lights.
It's after 10 p.m. and the party is still going strong. Time for you to have a Wacky Wednesday.

Peace,
Danny

"The most important single ingredient in the formula of
success is knowing how to get along with people."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics

www.risingstardom.com

No comments: