Monday, August 27, 2007

Nothing

Hi,
I hope you had a refreshing weekend. Ours was busy, of course. Before I get into that, we have a song to discuss. It was "I'll Be Seeing You", as performed by numerous artist. It was written by Sammy Fain and Irving Kahal and published in 1938. Became a major morale song during the war, for obvious reasons. A real heart-tugger. I'm impressed that so many of you know the song, and saw the connection.
"At First I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side..." Clue: This is a '79 disco tune going out to all the drama queens. This is from the intro, a non-rhythmic, mellow-dramatic, over the top reading. Then comes the pounding song. Put on you bellbottoms and remember.
Saturday afternoon, we got a major sendoff from about 150 close friends. Wow. It's hard to find the words to describe the feelings that ensued. My good friend Lee was the initial instigator of the event. Apparently it took on a life of it's own, and drove him a little crazy in the process. Big thanks, much gratitude and love to all 'my boys' for all that they did. We were overwhelmed with all the sentiments, gifts, and just the presence of so many real friends. This is the part that makes it hard to leave. Why would anybody want to leave all that we have? There's a big world out there, and there's no reason one can't have the love of many friends and the excitement of exploration in the same lifetime. Hmm, did I say that?
That evening we went over to hang out with 'The Family'. Jeff, Anna and August came to the party, but C-Bass didn't make it. First he didn't want to come, and after his folks had left, he changed his mind but it was too late. August showed me some kind of theater set he had put together in the family room. There were many lights, his sound system and a big cloth over the TV screen. I thought we were going to see a show. Later, he announced (after a timer countdown) that it was show time. We had to line up in the hall, pull tickets (all #26) from a bag that he made, hand him the ticket and then go in and sit in a numbered seat. Once we were all seated, he said: 'Who's first?'. What? He then replied: 'Who's going to dance first?'. We had been taken hostage in an August Reality Show. We were like deer caught in the headlights. What do we do now? Anna got up and danced and this pleased the maestro. Then it fell apart from there. No one really wanted to go through this process for the time it was going to take. August stuck his lip out for a minute, but got over it pretty quick.
Yesterday we picked up mom and went back out to Bangkok Blue. We needed to have one last visit, discuss a few more things with our 'connection'. Getting first hand info, pronunciation tips, coordinating schedules is very important work that can only be done efficiently over a dinner of Thai cuisine. (Ha) I also got my very first computer game. Ming gave me a special version of a Formula One game. I have to do some work to load it, but once I do, we'll see if I can stay out of the gravel. While we were there, we were surprised by a visit from Robin and Char, who I mentioned back in January. They traveled to LOS, but got there during the fires and didn't have such a good time. When we explained the cause of the smog, they've decided to try and go back again. Yes, there is clean air in Chiang Rai, most of the year.
That's enough babbling for a Monday morning. Another busy day ahead. Have a Wonderfilled Week.

Peace,
Danny


"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely."
~Auguste Rodin

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style

No comments: