Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Destiny

Hi,

Chiang Rai experienced beautiful weather today.  That thunder and lightning from last night didn’t rain on us.  Maybe somewhere else, but we had dry streets this morning and the whole day was a ‘post card’.

The ‘Easy Monday’ song was “No Fair At All” by The Association.  And now, the ‘Zany Day’ song:  “On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair, warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air.  Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light.  My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim, I had to stop for the night.  There she stood in the doorway, I heard a mission bell, and I was thinking to myself, ‘This could be heaven or this could be hell’.  Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way.  There were voices in the corridor, I thought I heard them say: ‘Welcome to the __ __, such a lovely place, such a lovely face….”  Hint:  You may already be checked in, but if not, it’s about a place to stay.  The year was 1977.

This morning, armed with a photo and a tape measure, we found the perfect cabinet at Thai Watsadu for the outside kitchen, and it will be delivered tomorrow.  The woman that helped us with the purchase made sure all the details of finding the house were covered, and handled the sale in a very efficient manner.  It’s nice when someone takes the initiative to get it right the first time.  Right next door was Home Sukapan, where we had a small credit we wanted to use.  We found a couple of things for the guest room and our ‘work’ there was finished.  All of these big stores have very involved methods of protecting themselves and their inventory.  As a result, there is lots of paper, lots of signing the paper, and lots of time spent watching all of this.  I guess the lesson is to be patient and grateful that they had the item you were looking for (555).

This afternoon on bus station street, I noticed two very old ceremonial wagons.  I think they may be in preparation for some kind of dedication for the new bus station structure.  The name of the building was being installed.  Not only is it "Bus Station Number 1," but also the "Tourist Center."  The photo below shows one of the wagons, and part of a mural that was painted by members of ArtBridge.  


There was an interesting article in the Bangkok Post about the changing patterns of food in the Bangkok area.  Many things contribute to certain dishes disappearing and this article touches on some cultural aspects that I didn’t know about.  Since Chiang Rai is an agricultural region, we don’t have the same conditions as the Central region (Bangkok).  Here is a link to the article:  https://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/food-and-drinks/1557778/gone-but-not-yet-forgotten

It feels like a Wacky Wednesday.

                      Peace,
                                Danny

“A person often meets his
destiny on the road he took
to avoid it.”
~Jean de La Fontaine

No comments: