Monday, July 25, 2016

Strong

Hi,

It seems like we just did this goodbye thing, but here it comes again.  Bye-bye America, thanks for the memories.
We fly out tonight (technically 1:25am Tuesday).  One last day of last-minute errands, phone calls, etc.  Then it’s pack the bags and go home.

The ‘Old School Friday’ song was “Heartbreak Hotel” by Elvis Presley.  Time for an ‘Easy Monday’ song you’ll like:
“Look at me, I’m as helpless as a kitten up a tree.  And I feel like I’m clinging to a cloud, I can’t understand I get __, just holding your hand.”  Hint:  This is so easy, one word.  If I don’t get lots of mail, something’s very wrong.

The weekend was fairly busy.  Friday we visited with Lisa’s brother Dan.  He had enough time for us to hang out at Dinah’s and have a really good visit.  There we were, three expats sitting in a coffee shop comparing notes about living abroad.  We learned more about his life in New Zealand and we filled in some blanks about Thailand.  Our experiences with Mr. Lag became a topic of conversation with no real conclusion.  We also showed him our little apartment and he got a chance to meet ’The Boys’.  The icing on the cake was the trip to LAX on a Friday afternoon.  I haven’t had the pleasure of driving that chaos in many years.  The visit was well worth what ever effort was involved.

I ended up back at Dinah’s for an early dinner with my long-time friend Michael.  It seems that 4pm is the magic hour when the place is practically empty.  A perfect time for conversation without the dull roar of a crowd.  

Saturday was a little less hectic.  After a morning meeting, I had lunch with my friend Christopher.  We always have fun comparing notes on the state of everything.  We ate at a place I’ve noticed for years.  Hurry Curry always made me smile, and I have a new appreciation for a small aspect of Indian cuisine.  

Sunday was our last day to take care of big stuff.  We went to Pasadena to move my mom’s car from where she lived  in Altadena, to our friend Irene's house until it can be sold.  We talked a bit and then met Irene’s mom, who was fun to talk to about travel.  Then lunch with Frank and Linda at a very nice restaurant I’d never known about.  Good food, good company and plenty of laughter.  Who could ask for more?  

The last of our out-of-town visits was with our friend Debby, whom Lisa has known since they were 13.  She has been caring for her two grandsons who are almost 3 and 5.  We managed to get in some talking in between attempts to capture our attention.  I love watching kids work on their sense of humor.

Back in Culver City, Anna grilled turkey burgers for dinner and we had a ‘sit down’ dinner that was not only delicious, but a nice way to end our stay.

I’ll be writing you from Taipei again as we make our way home.  I’m not sure what time you’ll get the message, but you will get it (555).

The photo for today was taken in Palo Alto on our walk with Joe, and features the ‘Pelican Quartet’ soaring in formation through a shaft of light.  They were riding the thermals, something we’d never seen pelicans do before.


Have a Great Week.

                Peace,
                          Danny

“Be strong enough to let go,
and patient enough to wait for
what you deserve."
~Unknown

No comments: