Thursday, August 14, 2014

Learning

Hi,

Today was a day of rain, light traffic, and a visit from friends.  The big news in Chiang Rai for some, is that the local golf course on the army base has reopened.  At least when it's not raining.  

When non-'players' know the 'Zany Day' song, it means that I should be hearing from some of you 'regulars'.
"I gonna take two weeks, gonna have a fine vacation.  I gonna take my problem to the United Nations.  Well, I called my congressman and he said quote, 'I'd like to help you son, but you're too young to vote'.  Sometimes I wonder, what I'm a-gonna do, but there ain't no cure for the __ __."  Clue:  The season is part of the title.  

The rain that began last evening stayed with us all night, and all day today.  It never turned into a fierce storm, just one of those friends that never leaves.  We didn't let it hold us back.  Out into the day, umbrellas at the ready, they stormed the streets (555).  The day was looking good, things getting done, list getting shorter, and then it was time to go home for lunch.  When I pressed the button on the remote to open the gate, nothing happened.  Hmm, it could only be one of two things.  Either the power was out, or the battery in the remote was done.  Climbing over the wet gate turned out to be a bad idea, so we headed back downtown to the 'Watch Guy' for a new battery.  The gate opened and we smiled.  

This afternoon we had a visit from nurse Pay and Boy.  They had been to Doi Din Dang and wanted to stop by our house.  We sat on the patio enjoying the yard and then got into a interesting 'lesson' on the history of certain amulets of The Buddha.  Boy has made this his hobby of sorts, and knows all about where certain ones come from,  and how they are created.  He has two that he wears and he showed us some details that were amazing.  He pulled out a small magnifying glass and had us look closely at the images.  There were tiny flecks of color imbedded in the surface.  We could see green, red, blue and yellow, which came from dried flowers that were mixed into the clay.  They were from offerings that had been made in the temple where they were made.  I also learned that my favorite amulet is a copy, and that those made in the temples are never black.  Using the glass, I could see the true color of the clay where the paint had worn off.  Hmm.  He is going to give me an authentic amulet the next time we get together.  

Tonight we have to pack the bag for our weekend trip to Pattaya.  I will be attending a Regional Service Committee meeting, and we'll see some sights while we're there.  I've been there twice, but Lisa has never seen this seaside resort town.  It will be good to be near the ocean again.

Cat is also going on an adventure this weekend.  Early Saturday morning she and her classmates will board a bus for Chiang Mai.  They will visit a university campus in the morning and then spend the afternoon at the zoo.  

Today's photo shows that irresistible smile that Daku produces.  Well, of course you can have a treat (555).


Have a Thrilling Thursday.

                   Peace, 
                             Danny

"I am learning to be patient and compassionate with myself
as I gain the courage to be true to myself."
~Shakti Gawain

No comments: