Wednesday, January 9, 2013

If


Hi,

The countdown continues with three more days in America and then off to Thailand.  There were more meals and an adventure in music stuff.

The 'Easy Monday' song was "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson.  See, it was easy.  Time for another episode of the 
'Zany Day' song.  "Well it's one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, now go, cat, go.  But don't you step on my __ __ __.  You can do anything but lay off of my __ __ __."  Hint: The artist who made this a giant hit didn't do it first, but that's OK.  Some people celebrated his birthday yesterday.  Hmm, this is too easy.

Our Tuesday began with another breakfast visit, this time with our friends Pam and Steve.  We've been meeting them at Dinah's on most of our visits.  There is a 'culture' at Dinahs', a sort of community of patrons who frequent the place.  Pam and Steve live close and have been going there for years.  We seem to get there twice on each visit so I guess that doesn't count, but they say they often see 'friends' there.  This morning I resisted the temptation to have another round of cinnamon French toast.  (555)

Every trip to the States provides a bit of culture shock.  The biggest example came for me today when I visited the Guitar Center on Pice Blvd.  I'm used to going into the guitar shop in Chiang Rai, which has a nice assortment of guitars and a growing list of accessories.  Walking into Guitar Center put my brain on overload.  Dazed and confused, I walked into the keyboard room where there was too much to absorb.  So many black and white keys made it hard to focus.  I was there to get some guitar parts for Chalit and I was on a mission.  From the 'key' room I wandered into the drum section.  I still hadn't seen a guitar yet so I asked a clerk and he directed me to the second floor.  Oh.  I have never seen so many guitars in one place in my life.  From the elevator I was directly in the acoustic section.  I went into a big soundproof room that was full of guitars to sample.  Once I had the info I needed I mentioned to the guy that there were a lot of guitars there.  He said I should see the 'Guitar Dome' on the other side.  The 'Dome' is a huge rotunda with a very high ceiling.  The whole thing was filled with electric guitars of every description.  I just stood there and slowly turned around.  If you're ever looking to see a mind-boggling display of musical instruments, check the place out.

This afternoon we managed to take another nap.  This is good practice for when we get home and resume our regular programming (555).  I wouldn't want to get out of practice for the after lunch siesta.

The August Chronicles:  It's been quite some time since we visited the adventures of our Musician/DJ/Tech Boy.  Lisa spent some time with him today and he showed her his equipment drawers.  He's forever inventing, changing, and otherwise exploring anything that plugs in or carries current.  In his own words, he's addicted to Mine Craft and since he got his new iPad Mini, he's been finding apps to make his laptop talk to his mini and and vice-versa.  He's not afraid of any of it and is willing to take chances, which is a wonderful thing for a 12-year-old.


It's time for a Wacky Wednesday.

                  Peace,
                             Danny

"If one speaks with a cruel mind, misery follows,
as a cart follows the horse...
If one speaks or acts with a pure mind, happiness follows,
as a shadow follows its source."
~The Dhammapada, a collection of Buddhist teachings

No comments: