Monday, February 21, 2011

Love

Hi,

I survived the weekend in Phuket and I'm here to tell you some highlights. My homecoming welcome from Daku was over the top, and it's good to be here.

The 'Old School Friday' song was "Louie Louie" by Richard Berry & The Pharaohs. Yes, The Kingsmen covered it. If only Mr. Berry had known what was to come he wouldn't have sold the rights for $750. Now it's time for 'Easy Monday'. "Each day through my window I watch her as she passes by. I say to myself, 'You're such a lucky guy.' To have a girl like her is truly a dream come true. Out of all the fellas in the world, she belongs to me. But it was __ __ __, running away with me..." Clue: It's all in his head. That's all you get, it's so easy.

The first thing I noticed, even though I knew in advance, was that the Patong district, where I spent the weekend, is very expensive. It's a tourist destination all year, but this is 'High Season' and everyone wants to get all they can. The standard price for transportation anywhere in the beach area is 200 Baht (a little over $6). They don't have any three-wheel transportation like Tuk-Tuks or Samlors, it's all tiny little trucks with open sides and a roof, or metered taxis that don't use the meters. I tried walking from my hotel to the beach but it was too hot and I wasn't sure about directions. Most of the time, for the evenings, I used a taxi driver who spoke great English and was reliable. Khun Prirum studied English in college and was quite the conversationalist. I would call him and he'd come and get me, which was great. I asked him lots of questions about Phuket and got lots of answers. When I asked him about the tables I saw by the side of the road with whisky bottles filled with gas for sale he said it was because the gas stations close at 10pm. The district is busy almost all night and the bottles of gas are mostly for the motorbikes.

Walking down the street along the beach is like running a gauntlet of 'hawkers' bidding for your attention. Every shop and stall had someone trying to sell something. There were also the taxi drivers with their relentless question:
"Where you go?". Most of what was being sold was overpriced, considering I'd seen the items in Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai for far less. I suppose if one were on vacation and it was the first time you'd seen it, you buy. I guess I've become a little jaded when it comes to street commerce.

Meanwhile, the street was filled with one-way traffic consisting of tons of motorbikes, cars and trucks. Khun Prirum told me that many visitors have accidents on the motorbikes because they don't understand Thai traffic. That made perfect sense to me. There is a cultural modesty about the body that many vacationers do not respect and I can just imagine what Thai people must think of some foreigners. Guys riding motorbikes without shirts on and women walking in the beach district in bikinis don't always sit well with the locals.

The little hotel where I stayed was mostly occupied by Italian vacationers who were in town for several weeks. In the morning when I'd go downstairs for some instant coffee, I was greeted with 'Buongiorno'. Nothing like a little Italian in the south of Thailand to start your day. Max, the owner, told me he wished he had a more diverse clientele. They would gather in the lobby each morning and then head for the beach. Max said he tries to caution his guests about the strength of the sun, but they don't listen.

Saturday night I left the district and went north to the J.W. Marriott resort where my friend Clifford plays piano and sings. The place is incredibly beautiful and the piano bar lounge is open on three sides giving it a magical nighttime effect. I got a chance to hang out with Clifford for a bit and then watch him perform. What a treat.

I'll finish my tale of adventure tomorrow.

Have a Great Week.

Peace,
Danny

"Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other."
~The Dalai Lama

Gettin' Funky, Thai Style
www.flickr.com/photos/gratidudepics
http://blog.risingstardom.com/
www.lisamosesgallery.com

No comments: